Crowned by the largest bronze sculpture in Europe, it depicts the Angel of Peace descending on the ‘Quadriga’ – or four-horsed chariot – of War.
Both the Wellington Arch and Marble Arch, which was originally in front of Buckingham Palace, were planned in 1825 by George IV to commemorate Britain’s victories in the Napoleonic Wars.
The Wellington Arch was also conceived as an outer gateway to Constitution Hill and therefore a grand entrance into central London from the west. The presence of a turnpike gate at this point had led, in the 18th century, to a strong perception that this was the beginning of London and the arch was intended to reflect the importance of the position.
There are no reviews yet.